- Made of heat-resistant borosilicate glass.
- Size of round bottom flask is 500 ml.
- Its shape is more resistant to fracturing under vacuum, as a sphere distributes stress across its surface.
- An additional neck allows a dropping funnel to be attached so that reactants drip slowly.
- For heating or boiling of liquid.
- Used in distillation.
- Contain chemical reactions.
- Distilling flask in rotatory evaporators.
- Storage of the culture media.
- Preparation of the gas-phase standards for flasks fitted with septa (volumetric calibration is required).
- Wash the round bottom flask before use.
- Before using, examine it carefully – it should not be scratched, cracked, chipped, or etched.
- If the flask contains any defect, remove it from the laboratory as it can seriously weaken the mechanical strength of glass and cause to break while use.
- Never hold it from the neck, always support from the base and sides.
- When stirring solutions in the flask, avoid using stirring rods with sharp ends.
- Always heat gently and gradually to avoid sudden temperature changes as it can cause glass to break due to thermal stock.