- Made of stainless steel – resistant to heat and cold, acids, solvents, bases, and other chemicals.
- Made of disposable plastic that are ideal to perform lyophilization or handling lyophilized products.
- Metal spatulas also have permanent or removable wooden or polymer handles, coated in PTFE or plastic for greater non-reactivity.
- Never put spatulas into a storage container for chemicals.
- Use spatulas with caution in laboratory reagent containers.
- Always check the spatula is clean.
- Avoid using the same spatula for different solids, unless it is cleaned in water and dried.